Monday, May 25, 2009

Why Do I Try To Brush My Teeth and Remove Nail Polish At The Same Time?


It doesn't work.  You know what else doesn't work?  Toys that claim to increase 600% in size when placed in water for 72 hours.   I just threw out a mangled moose that was floating around in brown water for 6 days.  What was I expecting?  That I'd wake up in the morning and a life size moose would be standing in my kitchen?  Or a moose the size of a small dog?   Okay, listen, I'd have been happy with a large rat.   But no.  It kind of just got foamy and puffy, like it had a gastrointestinal disease.   So it's gone...and I still find myself muttering, "I should've got the princess!"   I'm a woman who doesn't give up.

I'm also a woman who, although I've failed at it a thousand times over, still clings to the notion that multi-tasking works.  It doesn't.    If you brush your teeth while trying to remove nail polish you will fail at both jobs,  especially if you're trying to read a magazine at the same time. So there's my excuse why I didn't blog while I was in Calgary workshopping my new play. 

What was I thinking?!

Did I forget about the all-night writing sessions?  The loss of sleep over punctuation?  The agonizing over word choice?  Did I mention I'm an A-type?   Why would I want to write MORE when taking a break from writing?  Sorry, but I'd rather have a hot tub and drink a glass of wine.  So here's my update:  I got a play out of the deal.  The "deal" being my 5 day workshop of my new play "The Boiler Room" at The Lunchbox Theatre in Calgary.    On day 5 it was like birthing it out of my eye socket but they laughed, they cried (not really) and stuck around afterwards to ask a tonne of really great questions.

This (a play)  didn't come without it's complications....but it wouldn't be my life if it wasn't combined with some sort of uncomfortable challenge.   Oddly enough, the audience members who were invited to blog and tweet during the reading were not one of those complications (see previous posts).   In fact, I barely noticed they were there.  They weren't nearly as distracting as the woman with the 45 bracelets on each arm.   I'm not suggesting that I now openly embrace phones and lap tops in the theatre,  I just think you should leave your jewelry at home. 

We all need to find moments in our life where we don't have to multi-task.  Where we can just be present and absorb what's in front of us.  For someone like me that place is in the theatre or staring at the mountains.   Where I don't even think of brushing my teeth or removing my nail polish:  I just stare and think I must be blessed to be Canadian.






No comments:

Post a Comment