Thursday, May 7, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog...that is the question.

Well, it's the question today anyway.  Seems appropriate that my first entry here on "Things Yelled Out in Public" is about Blogging.  I'm being interviewed this morning on the CBC Radio morning show in Calgary regarding a pilot project by Lunchbox Theatre where patrons will be allowed, and encouraged, to "live" Blog or Tweet (this phrase is harder to get used to) during a workshop reading of my new play "The Boiler Room".  As in, open lap tops/glowing phones, beeps, click click DURING the reading.  As most of you know this a big no no in the performance world.   I was recently at a David Sedaris reading at Massey Hall where the woman in front of me was desperately trying to figure out her new iPhone so she could take pictures of Mr. Sedaris when he walked on the stage.  As she did this, I was desperately trying to figure out how to not shove her new iPhone down my pants.   She wasn't even considering how distracting that would be for the rest of us sitting behind her (an iPhone screen is obnoxiously large if you don't know).

So what's it going to be like during a reading of something that I personally have been working on for...well, quite a long time.  I think Lunchbox might have to make me sign a waver to not attempt to shove all the Bloggers computers and phones down my pants.   

But hey, it's new and I'm willing to give it a try.   So here's what I'm going to do.  I will blog here for the week of the workshop and then give you an update (an honest update) on how it went during the Saturday theatre Blogathon.  (As I write this my phone and my cell are ringing...are we trying to communicate TOO much?) So stay tuned.   And go check out the rest of my website at allanaharkin.com.   See ya!

2 comments:

  1. I feel most sorry for dogs in this whole over-use of cell phones. There was a time when we would go for a walk with them and have occasion to talk to them. Now, we walk and talk and pay no mind to man's best friend. I also feel sorry for people who are run over because someone was texting while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback Brent. Out of curiousity have you ever thought of taking your dog to a movie? Or maybe just a weekend get away for the two of you? Sounds to me like your dog is missing a little romance in his/her life. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete